Via Optomec YouTube channel
Leading global supplier of additive manufacturing systems for 3D printed metals and printed electronics Optomec has revealed its financial results for the first half of 2013.
The Albuquerque-, New Mexico, based company reported record order levels for both its LENS 3D printers for structural metals and Aerosol Jet Systems for 3D printed electronics, representing a 100 per cent increase in bookings compared to the same period last year.
These H1 figures have buoyed the company, as they are indicative of continued strong market interest for industrial-strength additive manufacturing solutions, especially systems capable of addressing high-volume production requirements. Optomec customers are currently using LENS and Aerosol Jet systems for production applications within the consumer electronics, life sciences and aerospace/defence industries.
First half orders increased by more than 100 per cent year on year and already equivalent to orders for the full year of 2012. New system orders for LENS 3D Printers for metal represented 45 per cent of total bookings and the remaining 55 per cent were for Aerosol Jet Systems used for printed electronics applications.
Dave Ramahi, Optomec President at CEO, commented: "The first six months were a tremendous start to our year with strong global demand for both Aerosol Jet and LENS systems.
"The Optomec product line-up remains highly differentiated in the additive manufacturing space, with our ability to print fully functional metal and electronic components at low cost and with very high output rates. We expect to continue on this growth trajectory as industry's adoption of such solutions is only accelerating."
Mr Ramahi continued: "We are particularly encouraged by recent progress with our introduction of a production solution for 3D-printed antenna used in smartphones, tablets and other mobile devices. The first high-throughput system, capable of printing up to two million parts per year, has been commissioned at a contract manufacturer in China and we are engaged with many other leading suppliers. Demand for this solution is being driven by a significantly lower cost profile, coupled with environmental and health benefits derived from eliminating plating in the production process."