Materials Solutions manufactures Siemens burner heads.
Founded in 2016 and based in Worcester, Materials Solutions specialises in producing turbomachinery parts, particularly gas turbines, with Selective Laser Sintering. In late 2015, Siemens Venture Capital acquired a 14% minority stake in the company, which currently employs more than 20 qualified engineers. Now Siemens will take an 85% stake in the company with the remaining 15% held by founder Carl Brancher.
“With the acquisition of Materials Solutions, we are able to secure world-leading expertise in materials and AM process development with focus on high-temperature super alloys,” Willi Meixner, CEO of Siemens Power and Gas Division, explained. “The company’s strength is to turn models into high quality components in record time. Clearly Materials Solutions fits perfectly within our vision for growth and application of advanced technologies within our Power & Gas portfolio.”
Materials Solutions lends its AM expertise to fields such as aerospace, power generation and also motor sports and the company intends to continue to drive innovation in those areas by supporting external customers.
“We are very proud to become a part of Siemens,” Carl Brancher, CEO of Materials Solutions commented. "I am sure our know-how and experience will make a significant contribution to Siemens' Additive Manufacturing strategy. Materials Solutions is developing the applications know-how and a supply chain for the world’s most advanced engineering companies – delivering processes and precision parts from 3D CAD models, using software, lasers and metal powders.”
Siemens metal 3D printing facility in Sweden.
Siemens has been taking significant steps to drive its AM strategy towards industrialisation and commercialisation. The company already uses AM technology for rapid prototyping and has introduced serial production solutions for manufacturing small fuel mixers and rapid repair of burner tips for mid sized gas turbines. Earlier this year, Siemens cut the ribbon on Sweden’s first production facility for metal 3D printing following a €21.4 million investment focusing on mass manufacture and repair of metal parts.