Optomec LENS component repair
Optomec reports record sales for AM systems.
Optomec has announced a record year for revenue growth, up over 80% compared to the previous year, for the sale of its metal 3D printing and 3D printed electronics additive manufacturing systems.
The revenue increase is a result of continued strong sales of Optomec Additive Manufacturing systems for production applications. The Albuquerque-based company also reported third quarter profits of 18% on an EBITDA basis, and maintains a substantial backlog that will ensure on-going growth.
Optomec is delivering Aerosol Jet systems to print 3D conformal sensors for a variety of consumer electronics and industrial applications. In one example case, the sensors will enable Condition Based Maintenance of high value metal components for an Industrial “Internet of Things” application.
The company has also successfully commissioned a production line in China that is running 16 Aerosol Jet Print Modules in parallel to produce 3D circuitry for a new smartphone that was just launched. In addition to this, Optomec is delivering a work cell to a machine tool manufacturer that utilizes LENS metal printing technology to apply wear resistant coatings onto 3D surfaces. All of these production applications have significant potential for expansion.
In Q3, 55% of new orders were for Optomec Aerosol Jet systems used for printing functional electronics and the remaining 45% were for LENS systems used for printing structural metals. Strong performance from international distributors and OEMs contributed to a successful quarter.
David Ramahi, Optomec President/CEO, commented: “The third quarter of 2015 represents a milestone in the company’s history, as we have now proven that our systems are capable of performing in true high volume manufacturing, printing at a rate of millions of units per year, all in a 24/7 production setting. We are likewise pleased to have demonstrated the profitability potential of our growing business, especially as in parallel our solutions are providing a high Return on Investment (ROI) for our customers, either through production or lifecycle savings. We are confident the cost and functional gains realized by our users will continue to drive our own high growth rates through the remainder of this year and into 2016.”