1 of 4
MiiCraft 3D printed intricate sphere
Obligatory intricate sphere demonstrates how far the DLP systems are from their extrusion-based counterparts in terms of resolution
2 of 4
MiiCraft DLP 3D printer
3 of 4
MiiCraft Eiffel tower with size context
4 of 4
MiiCraft 3D printed Eiffel tower detail
MiiCraft have entered the expanding 'digital light projection' sector of personal 3D printers with the MiiCraft High Resolution 3D Printer — and you can get in on the act early by pledging to the startup's indiegogo campaign.
Running from $2119 to $2179 (£1350-£1400; €1700-€1750) depending on your location, there is only one level of pledge and one reward: MiiCraft printer, curing station, 500 ml resin and shipping. It's not as cheap as some of the extrusion systems, but it's certainly the cheapest of the DLP systems we have seen.
Over on Kickstarter another pretender to the DLP throne, the B9Creator, reached $264k on a $50k target (at the time of writing with 5 days still to go!). Perhaps accordingly the MiiCraft team are looking to raise $100k in pledges.\
The MiiCraft also comes with MiiCraft Suite: a Python programmed STL viewer and editor, slicer, checker and controler.
The printer includes a self-refilling resin system housed in the same unit as the priner and post-curing device.
Wayne who is part of the MiiCraft team explains: ''We believe our hardware capabilities are similar to the EnvisionTEC Perfactory µicro or the ASIGA. We're a bit on the conservative side when we said our single layer thickness can achieve 50micron. The 50micron is based on our own developed resins. Therefore, with the right resin, in theory we can go into even more detail.''
MiiCraft are hoping to get their website and webstore up and running by the first week in August and until then they will be taking orders via the Indiegogo campaign and through email.
Wayne then went on to say: ''This indeed is a very interesting time for the 3D printing industry.''
- X/Y Resolution: 450 ppi (56 micron)
- Z-Axis (single layer thickness): 0.1 mm (100 micron)
- Hardware can support up to 0.005 mm (5 micron)
- Build Speed: 2 cm per hour
- Up to 3 cm per hour possible for some models
- Build Size (Footprint): 43 mm x 27 mm x 180 mm
- Full Kit Dimensions: 20.5 cm (W) x 20.8 cm (L) x 33.5 cm (H)
Automatic Resin Supply System
- Sensors will detect resin level and pump resin into the reaction tank if there's insufficient resin
- Ability to withdraw resin from reaction tank back into resin cartridge for storage
Teflon base Peeling System
- Lower peeling force during build process and increase success rate when printing models
Sturdy and Robust Mechanical Design
- Ensures an improved and consistent performance